The remarkable thing is that the bolster and blade are still tight in the handle. It was also still sharp enough to cut bread with.
First I went over it with #000 steel wool and Barkeepers friend, and then went to #400 sand paper and WD-40 and finally Simichrome and a rag for a polish.
I decided that I didn’t want it to look ‘brand’ new. I want it to still look old, there are only a couple of spots of corrosion that I can ignore.
The bolster had some sort of strange shellac on it, which took some elbow grease.
I also decided I wanted to keep the handle looking just the way it is with the black paint half on and the oak grain visible. So no stripping and no painting, just a polish with beeswax/mineral spirits polish. This knife will rarely if ever get washed, so the handle is safe from further damage.
It actually slices tomatoes way better than my old Henckles which because of it’s serration I never could sharpen properly.
Looks like I have a new favorite toy.